Kindergarten Classes | Welcome Back Wednesday Family Picnic
Wednesday | August 23 | 9am – 12pm
This special welcome day means that school will begin at 9am that day for all Kindergarten students. There will not be Early Care on this day. Some families may want to arrive at school a little before 8:30 to see the opening day ceremony in the Grades School. This is where the 1st graders are welcomed into the Grades school by the oldest students in a Rose Ceremony. It is a very lovely event complete with a beautiful story telling and you are welcome and encouraged to attend.
At 9am the children of the Kindergarten classes will be welcome to arrive at their play yard. After a short play time, you and your child will go into his/her kindergarten classroom to find his/her cubby and chair, and hear a special first day story from the teacher. We will commemorate the day with a family picnic on the play yard beginning around 10:30. After the picnic, families are welcome to make their way home with their child for the shortened first day. If you cannot attend this event with your child, you may want to see if a grandparent or special family friend might join instead.
This is a gentle way to commence the school year with your child where you can explore the spaces and enjoy some classroom time together. It’s very special for older children to share in this experience with a parent, while the newest and youngest members to our class can hold the hand of a family member as they transition into their new environment.
Here is an overview of how the week will go:
- Wednesday will be a welcome back transition from 9:00am-12:00pm with the picnic beginning around 10:30am. Parents or special friends will be in attendance.
- Children whose parents cannot attend the Welcome Back Picnic will be cared for by teachers that day beginning at 9am.
- Aftercare will start at the normal 1:00pm time beginning on the first day of school. Children whose parents cannot attend the Welcome Back Picnic will be cared for by teachers that day beginning at 9am and will be transitioned to After Care at 1:00 if they attend that program.
- There is no Early Care on this first day back.
- Thursday will be the first full day of school, and without parents attending. Drop off is between 8:15 and 8:30am.
- Families that come on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday schedule are welcome to bring their children for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday that first week.
- Details about the picnic will follow closer to the start of the school year.
If you have any questions, please contact Sarah Martin, Pinyon Pine Lead Teacher at firstname.lastname@example.org.